Online TEFL course
- 150 hours averages to 12-15 hours of coursework per week (11-week period.)
- 20 hours of student teaching (Practicum)170 Hour TEFL TESOL Certification awarded
- 30-hour additional course add-on modules:
Business Professionals & Young Learners (2 extra weeks at no extra cost)
Total TEFL TESOL Certification Available: 200 hours
**All practicum hours for the online class must be done independently.
Tuition: 1395 Dollars.
The International TEFL Academy Online TEFL certification course is a fully interactive course taught by a seasoned university level professor.
The online TEFL / TESOL certification course is designed for students who are looking to Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) internationally in a professional environment. The ability to earn a TEFL/TESOL certification on a part time schedule appeals to those students who wish to continue working while completing their training. Aside from being able to continue with work, the Online TEFL/TESOL course is very economical, allowing the student to afford the highest quality of TEFL/TESOL training at the professional certification level.
Class sizes are limited to 20 students to ensure maximum professor/student correspondence. Small class sizes also instill a sense of camaraderie amongst the students and opens up more opportunities for class interaction and discussion. Students must complete all the reading material, tasks, and the final Thematic Unit to pass the TEFL course.
In addition to the work listed above, students must also join a weekly discussion called Peer Participation. A topic related to ESL teaching will be posted each week by your course instructor and each student is expected to post a thought or comment in the Peer Participation forum. This is a great way to communicate with your peers and join an online discussion.
TEFL Course Components
ITA courses comprise of 3 main components that ensure the student’s success as a professional English language teacher. Teaching Methodology, Language Acquisition, Student Teaching (Practicum).
1) Teaching Methodology:
These are the skills that are essential to each teacher, and include:
- Classroom management
- Personality and language assessments
- Curriculum development
- Lesson planning
2) Language Acquisition:
The components of language learning will be covered:
- Phonetics and linguistic analogy are also thoroughly covered in the course.
20 hours of student teaching/observation/tutoring within a local ESL classroom
To successfully complete an online TEFL / TESOL certification course, International TEFL Academy requires that each student complete 20 hours of practicum. These practicum hours allow each student to gain first-hand experience working with real ESL students, whether it is in an actual classroom setting, or by tutoring a non-native speaker privately.
International TEFL Academy encourages our students to complete these hours while they are still enrolled in the course. For these reasons, completing the practicum hours during the course allows the student to immediately practice what they are learning in the online class. We do, however, automatically allow an additional 30 days after the course is finished to complete the practicum hours.
Opportunities to complete your practicum can typically be arranged in your community in these types of venues:
- Community centers
- Community colleges
- Language schools
- Faith based groups that offer ESL classes
Once the practicum hours have been completed, the student provides a detailed journal and time sheet to the International TEFL Academy Student Affairs Department. After we have received the practicum documentation, along with notification of the completed coursework, you will be issued your TEFL / TESOL certificate via postal mail. You will now be qualified to teach English to millions of students in thousands of schools worldwide; and with our lifetime job search guidance, you will be abroad in no time!
Online TEFL Class Overview
The International TEFL Academy online TEFL course is a fully interactive, collegiate level course, taught by a university level professor. From day one, students will be fully engaged in discourse not only with your professor, but also with all of the other students in the course. This interaction will remain constant throughout the duration of the course, and the instructor will offer you feedback on your tasks and is always available to answer questions.
Through a series of course readings, tasks, peer participation, essays, and a final thematic unit, students will develop all the skills necessary to be a confident, well-resourced, professional teacher, whatever your background.
International TEFL Academy Online TEFL Class professors are of the highest caliber, with a graduate level degree or Ph D. in TESOL or a related field, and extensive international teaching experience.
Students who enroll in International TEFL Academy course come from all walks of life. The age of a student can range from 17-77, and International TEFL Academy trains students from every continent on earth.
Online Virtual Classroom
The International TEFL Academy online TEFL course is conducted in a virtual online learning environment, hosted by Moodle.com, one of the worldwide leaders of online distance learning. There is no software to download, and as long as you have an Internet connection, your entire course content is accessible. The course itself is very user friendly and easy to navigate. Students do not need to be a computer expert to take the course; they just need a very basic knowledge of web browsing.
The following is the content found within the International TEFL Academy online TEFL course:
- Pre-Course Grammar Module
- Basic Principles of Teaching
- Classroom Management
- Lesson Planning
- Error Correction
- Visual Aids
Bonus TEFL Units:
- Teaching Young Learners
- Teaching Business Professionals
Course Tasks and Assignments
- Tasks: Each module contains its own set of tasks or assignments. Tasks will be completed by taking an online quiz (Q) or by uploading to a forum (F). Please see the course syllabus for an outline of tasks due for each module and how many points each task is worth.
- Peer Participation: Each week your course instructor will post a discussion topic in the forum labeled Peer Participation. Students are required to participate in the discussion each week by posting at least one thought or comment in the forum regarding the posted topic.
- Evaluations: Students are expected to complete a Mid-Course Evaluation and a Final Course Evaluation providing feedback on various aspects of the TEFL/TESOL course.
- Thematic Unit: In order to pass the TEFL certification course, students must complete the final project, the Thematic Unit. The Thematic Unit will cover three days of lesson planning that you will create.
- Self-Checks: Self-Checks are located throughout the reading as a way to practice what you have learned and test your knowledge. Self-Checks are not required to complete however, they are recommended.
- Practicum: Practicum is an essential component to a teacher’s training process, as it provides valuable insight and experience prior to obtaining independent teaching positions. International TEFL Academy requires that all students accumulate a minimum of 20 hours for TEFL / TESOL certification. These hours can be achieved through observation, tutoring, student teaching or a combination. Practicum hours must be achieved in a setting in which non-native speakers are learning new English language skills.